08/02/10—The chief of the Hermosillo State Investigative Police Force (Policía Estatal Investigadora—PEI), Jesús Fernando de la Cruz Lugo, was shot to death yesterday evening by three gunmen. The shooting was registered around 18:30 hours in a park on Avenue 1, between 6th and 7th Street, in the locality of Bugambilias. He was attacked by at least three men who were traveling in a gray 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee when he left his family in order to get something from the trunk of his car. The gunmen headed down Israel C. González Street and were able to escape before authorities arrived at the scene. De la Cruz Lugo was in charge of the PEI Operational Base (Base Operativa) in the city of Hermosillo, Sonora.
According to the online news source Nuevo Día, since the beginning of this year the following Sonora PEI officials have been killed:
- Juan Sergio Alcalá Carrillo (Nogales), on February 19th
- Darío Reyna Ruiz (Tubutama), on March 11th
- José Israel Duarte Iñigo (Divisaderos), on June 22nd
- Arnoldo Quintero Alcántar (Naco), on July 4th
- José Octaviano Bringas Serrano (Ciudad Obregón)
- Fernando de la Cruz Lugo, on August 1st